1 a radioactive element of the actinide series; found in uranium ores [syn: actinium, atomic number 89]
2 an electric current that reverses direction sinusoidally; "In the US most household current is AC at 60 cycles per second" [syn: alternating current] [ant: direct current]
- (electrical) Alternating Current
- (electrical): often used to indicate an alternating potential rather than a current, as in 110V AC.
- Air Conditioning, usually: A/C
- as charged, as in: guilty as charged, usually: a/c
- Area Code
- all clear, as in button on electronic calculator
- audible chuckle
- axiom of choice
- Companion of the Order of Australia.
- Adult contemporary, a radio format
- Acre (Brazilian state)
AC may refer to any of the following, broken down by subject area.
- Actinium (Ac), a chemical element
- Acetaldehyde (also Ac), an organic ion
- Acetate (also Ac), an organic ion
- Acetyl (Ac), a functional group in chemistry
current, a type of electric current
- AC power, a net transfer of energy over a complete cycle of the alternating current waveform
- Anterior commissure, a small bundle of nerve fibres that connect the right and left temporal lobes
- Anticipated convection, the code for severe thunderstorm forecasts issued daily for the contiguous U.S. by the Storm Prediction Center
- Armored Cable, a type of power cable used by electricians
- attocoulomb (aC), an SI unit of electric charge
- Accessory cells, used in cell cultures
- Axiom of choice, a mathematical set theory concept
- Acromioclavicular joint in humans and other animals, frequently injured in sport
- Adenylate cyclase, an enzyme
- Alpha Centauri, a star system in the constellation Centaurus
- Artificial consciousness
- Air Conditioning
- Air Canada, Airline based out of Toronto, Ont., Canada
- ante cibum (before meals)
- AC (complexity), a hierarchy of complexity classes found in circuit complexity
- .ac, Internet top-level domain name for Ascension Island
- .ac (second level), Internet second-level domain used to denote academic institutions in many countries
- Anonymous Coward, in the Slashdot online environment
- Authorization certificate or attribute certificate, a digital permission to use a service or resource
- Arctic Cooling, a Swiss manufacturer of heatsinks, cooling fans and computer cases.
- Auto clickers, which are commonly referred to in MMORPGs as ACs.
- AC Schnitzer, an aftermarket tuner of BMW automobiles
- AC Cars, a brand of automobile
- AC Cobra, an Anglo-American sports car
- Hyundai Aero City, a bus built by the Hyundai Motor Company
- Air Canada, as its IATA airline designator
- Aircraft (usually A/C)
- Algoma Central Railway, a now out-of-service railway in Northern Ontario, Canada
- AC Transit, a public bus transit system in Oakland, California
Job Titles / Ranks
- Assistant Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis
- Assistant Commandant in Central Police Organisation India
- Assistant Cameraman
- Aelod y Cynulliad, the title for Members of the National Assembly for Wales
- Assistant Commissioner
- Acting Commissioner
- Aaron Carter, American pop singer/rapper
- Aleister Crowley, in "magickal" contexts
- Alice Cooper, hard rock, shock rock, and heavy metal singer
- Anderson Cooper, Journalist
- Alan Cox, Linux kernel developer
- Austin Carr, former NBA player
- A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, founder of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness
- A.C. Green, former NBA player
- The name of the ultimate computer at the end of time in Isaac Asimov's The Last Question
- After Colony, an alternate timeline in the Gundam metaseries for the universe of Gundam Wing
- Albert Clifford "A.C." Slater, a character in the American sitcom Saved by the Bell
- "Alt Cataclius" or "After Cataclysm", a historical era in the timeline for the Dragonlance fictional universe
- Armor Class, a combat-related parameter in the Dungeons & Dragons role playing game system
- Final Fantasy VII Advent Children, a movie sequel to the game Final Fantasy VII
- Accurentum, a fictional chemical element from Star Trek
- Arthur Curry, who goes by his initials during an appearance on Smallville
- Animal Crossing (series), a series of real-time village simulations by Nintendo
- Assassin's Creed, a platformer/stealth game for the Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Nintendo DS platforms.
- Armored Core, a video game series featuring the eponymous robotic fighter under the player's control.
- Asheron's Call, a fantasy massively multiplayer online role-playing genre
- The Ace Combat series of combat flight simulator games
- "AC" is sometimes used as an abbreviation for "arcade".
Therefore, it is often used as a suffix to designate a new or
separate version of a game, or even merely as the abbreviation for
- Melty Blood: Act Cadenza, a two-dimensional fighting game featuring characters from Tsukihime
- Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, a two-dimensional fighting game, part of the Guilty Gear series
- Tekken 5 on the PlayStation 2 features a mode that allows one to play the arcade versions of Tekken, Tekken 2, and Tekken 3, labeled "AC"
- Alliance Character as used by Horde players in the MMORPG World of Warcraft
- Arvoch Conflict, a shareware flight simulator by Star Wraith 3D Games
- Ace Combat, a series of flight/combat games by Namco.
- Anglican Communion
- Akademikernes Centralorganisation, the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations.
- Civic Alliance Foundation, a Romanian NGO.
- Astronomy club, common in schools and tertiary institutions.
- Ad Council
- Ayala Corporation, via its ticker symbol "AC".
- Associación Civil, a title for non profit organizations in Spain.
- Another name for the Ansuz rune
- Air conditioning (and air conditioner), the mechanical process of cooling air in enclosed spaces
- Ante Christum, (AC), Latin meaning "before Christ" or BC
- Anthrocon, a furry fandom convention
- Antichrist, in the Christian religion
- Average cost, in economics
- post-nominal AC Order of Australia, Companion
- Naval auxiliary ship serving as a collier (Auxilary Collier) in the U.S. Navy's list of hull classifications
AC in Czech: AC
AC in Welsh: AC
AC in Danish: AC
AC in German: AC
AC in Spanish: AC
AC in Esperanto: Ac
AC in French: AC
AC in Korean: AC
AC in Italian: AC
AC in Dutch: AC
AC in Japanese: AC
AC in Norwegian: AC
AC in Norwegian Nynorsk: AC
AC in Polish: AC
AC in Portuguese: AC
AC in Kölsch: AC (Watt ėßß datt?)
AC in Slovak: AC
AC in Slovenian: AC
AC in Finnish: Ac
AC in Swedish: AC
AC in Vietnamese: Ac
AC in Turkish: AC
AC in Chinese: Ac
DC, absorption current, active current, alternating current, conduction current, convection current, cycle, delta current, dielectric displacement current, direct current, displacement current, eddy current, electric current, electric stream, emission current, exciting current, free alternating current, galvanic current, high-frequency current, idle current, induced current, induction current, ionization current, juice, low-frequency current, magnetizing current, multiphase current, pulsating direct current, reactive current, rotary current, single-phase alternating current, stray current, thermionic current, thermoelectric current, three-phase alternating current, voltaic current, watt current